National Health IT and Delivery System Transformation Summit Policy on Green Business Practices
The National Health IT and Delivery System Transformation Summit is "Going Green" and is making a deliberate commitment to ensure that all environmental aspects are considered in the planning and execution of the Congress.
In order to minimize the environmental cost of publishing, we will be distributing presentations electronically and posting them on the website. Rather than providing a binder and pre-printed handouts, conference materials will be placed on a CD that will be available to all attendees at registration.
Updated and revised presentations will be accessible on the conference website in downloadable format following the event.
In addition, we are implementing the following practices:
- Use an online registration system and send certificates of training program completion electronically.
- Offer attendees participation through live Internet feeds to avoid travel costs and impacts.
- Work with our current and future suppliers to promote eco-friendly business practices.
- Provide conference materials in a reusable pocket folder made from recycled materials.
- Encourage the provision of promotional items that are consumable, re-usable, or made from recycled material.
- Where paper use is absolutely necessary, make two-sided copies and use recycled paper and make best efforts to recycle (paper, plastic, glass, and cans) with visible bins for everyone to use.
- Make best efforts to work with hotels and conference facilities that implement environmentally friendly policies.
- Use electronic hotel signage wherever possible and use banners and signs that can be used again.
- Make reasonable efforts to adjust meeting room temperatures to conserve energy.
- To the extent practicable use dishes, cutlery and linens that are reusable (i.e., no paper or polystyrene cups, no paper napkins, etc.), and avoid unnecessary disposable items such as plastic straws, plastic coffee stirrers.
- Serve beverages, including water, and condiments in bulk dispensers, State law allowing, minimizing individual servings and their associated waste.
- Donate unused consumable items to a local charity or food bank wherever possible.
- In the conference evaluation form, invite conference attendees to assess our progress and make recommendations.
- Continually evaluate and seek to improve our own green practices.